ICT at Budehaven School has developed dramatically over the past few years. We now have four designated ICT suites as well as smaller clusters throughout the school.
Key stage 3.
Key stage three now covers year 7 and year 8 only. We are now using a new Scheme of Learning created by Pearson Education. The new Active Teach modules are accessible in school and also through our VLE so students will have access whenever they need it.
In year 7 the pupils will be completing the following topics:
- Unit 1 - A virtual tour of my school - developing presentation and letter writing skills
- Unit 2 - Help an animal rescue centre - developing spreadsheet and marketing skills
- Unit 3 - Create a game - developing the skills needed to plan, design and create a game
In year 8 the pupils will be completing the following topics:
- Unit 1 - A video guide to collaborative learning - understanding how and why the internet has changed and how to work collaboratively.
- Unit 2 - Create a time capsule - planning, designing and creating a website
- Unit 3 - Help fight global warming - more detailed knowledge of spreadsheets, databases, data collection and analsysis
- Unit 4 - An e-card system for your school - using control to create an e-card system
Key stage 4.
Key stage 4 is now tiered in ICT. In years 9 and 10 all students will be working on the OCR Nationals L2 award and will obtain the equivalent to one GCSE at the end of year 10. There is also an expectation that they will have the opportunity to sit the functional skills exam during year 10.
In year 11, ICT becomes optional, and if students wish to continue their ICT lessons, they can do, and will have the opportunity to gain at least one more GCSE equivalent.
Key stage 5.
The ICT course at key stage 5 is changing this September. WE will now only be running one course - the OCR Nationals L3. This seems a logical choice as it will be in a similar style to the OCR course that pupils will have completed at KS4. The course offers students the opportunity to do either a single or double A level.
The Following units are mandatory and will be taken by both single and double groups:
- Unit 1 Digital business communication
- Unit 2 Collaborative working
- Unit 3 Problem solving
- Unit 4 Creating a digital showcase
The two other units that will be taken by the single and double options will be:
- Unit 5 Advanced spreadsheets
- Unit 10 Digital imaging photography
The extra six units that will be taken by the double options will be:
- Unit 7 Desktop publishing
- Unit 11 Digital video
- Unit 14 Cartooning and animation
- Unit 15 Art and animation for computer games
- Unit 17 Computer games production
- Unit 18 Computer games technology
Y12 Open Evening Presentation (January 2011)