We believe that Drama is a vital and defining cultural art form. Throughout time, human beings have enacted events in order to help us make sense of the complex world we live in. We structure lessons that strike a balance between exploring process drama (learning by imagined experience) and product or skills based drama – the craft of theatre making. We develop schemes of work that provoke engagement and enthusiasm through our choice of theme and topic and apply early in our teaching the principles and assessment criteria that the exam boards recognise.
Our lessons typically start with a starter or warm up, an introduction to the stimulus, a focusing convention or strategy that frames the whole group or small group work and an opportunity to create, perform and evaluate in a welcoming, safe and supportive studio environment.
The Drama department offers a range of extra-curricular activities under the umbrella of ‘Budehaven Stages’:
- First Act – our club for Year 7 and 8 students.
- Acting Up – our club for students who are new to Drama and performance work.
- Centre Stage – our club for gifted and talented students.
- Encore – our revision club for GCSE students.
- Budehaven Lights – our school theatre company who perform the annual school production.