The Pearl Bamford Community Garden Project
‘Pearl was Pure… A light in the dark’
Every pupil that passes through Budehaven has the opportunity to make a positive impact on their peers, teachers and beautiful work they create. Pearl was one of those creative and pure lights, who shone ever so brightly and inspired many people around her. The Garden represents all those values and we know that once created, it will be a hub to inspire, create and form positive relationships. This will be growing a positive and informed relationship with our environment as well as growing mutual respect for ourselves and each other.
Mr A O’ Dwyer
About the project:
We are hoping to raise a total of £5,000 – with match funding through Cornwall County Council to transform an unused area of the school into a wonderful outdoor teaching and learning space – One that promotes the values that the garden will stand for, namely; to raise awareness about sustainability and to promote mindfulness and encourage wellbeing.
Currently the space looks like this.
We would like it to look something like this.
The garden will be divided into 5 sections.
- Sensory Garden
- Mindfullness and Meditation Garden
- Grow your own food Garden
- Education Space with projector and screen
- Citizen Science area
What we want to achieve:
We believe that we can Create a garden that will,
- Educate our students, teachers and staff about the environment, climate resilience, marine and environmental pollution as well as the economy and health of our community.
- Create spaces for time out, for mindfulness and to connect with nature.
- Embrace Biodiversity.
- Encourage Wildlife.
- Create an incredible space for learning with the addition of an outside screen and seating.
- Create a garden space that will be about climate resilience and protecting our environment.
We will be working with local environmental and community groups and organisations who will help us to achieve our goals in protecting our environment and being climate resilient. Wherever possible we will reuse and repurpose materials.
How we will raise the Money:
We intend to develop a series of funding streams that involve not only our school community but the wider Bude family and together we hope to reach our goal within 5 weeks! Donations can be made via our Crowdfunder page.
How to get involved:
Already many of our pupils that have been busy making Sea Festival videos or designing T-shirts to raise money via the projects’ Crowdfunder page.
Looking ahead, these are the activities we have in store for you – A schedule of weekly events leading up to… dare we say it Christmas!
- 25/10 Sea Festival: Videos about your relationship to the local marine environment
- 2/11 Art: Eco T-shirt Design
- 9/11 PHSE/ RE: A Mind To Be Kind and Micro Plastic Mandalas
- 16/11 English: Eco Poems
- 23/11 DT: Eco Furniture Design
- 30/11 Science: Sustainable Science (Christmas theme)
- 7/12 Drama: Drama Dress Up
Finally, we would just like to remember the purpose and inspiration for this project:
The wonderful pupils of Budehaven, who like Pearl give us a reason to be proud and provide these pupils with opportunity and illumination every day…
Thank you for supporting this project.
Rachel Miller (Leader of Learning: Art)
Avril Sainsbury – Bude Cleaner Seas